Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Crazy Quilting Resources

I was asked to repost my list of resources here so I'll go ahead and do it today. Kathy (Mad Stitcher), if I missed anything, please let me know and I'll add it.

Reference Books:

Judith Baker Montano is a good place to start. She has published several books on Crazy Quilting including The Crazy Quilt Handbook 2nd Edition, Elegant Stitches and Floral Stitches. She also has a book titled, The Art Of Silk Ribbon Embroidery. You can view all of her books on her website

Another really good book on Crazy Quilting is The Magic Of Crazy Quilting 2nd Edition by J. Marsha Michler. I couldn't find a website for her but I know Amazon carries this book. If you can only purchase one book, this is the one I recommend.

For fancy stitches and SRE, An Encycolopedia Of Crazy Quilt Stitches And Motifs by American School Of Needlework will certainly get you started.

For SRE Transfers, Dover carries one titled, Ribbon Embroidery With 178 Iron-On Transfers by J. Marsha Michler.

Supplies:

I purchase most of my fabrics from JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby and Walmart. A great source for really good quality fabric is Keepsake Quilting. Their focus is mainly on traditional patchwork quilting but they do offer some beautiful fabrics that can be used in crazy quilting.

For beads, I recommend Fire Mountain Beads And Gems. I've been so pleased with everything I've ordered from them.

For lace, buttons, charms, appliques and other interesting embellishments, Home Sew Inc. They offer a wide variety of wonderful embellishments along with lots of useful sewing tools and other sewing items.

Another nice place that I found online is Flights Of Fancy. I haven't ordered from them yet but I plan too. They have some unusual and quite lovely embellishments there.

And here's another online source for lace and trims, Lace Heaven.

How To's:

Beginner Silk Ribbon Embroidery will show you how to do, I believe, 10 different stitches.

For a step by step guide to embroidery stitches, visit Craftown. You can also visit Sharon B's In A Minute Ago blog for good information on Crazy Quilting along with stitch guides and of course, lots of incredible eye candy!

For tatting, the book I learned from is Learn Needle Tatting Step by Step by Barbara Foster. Handy Hands offers tatting supplies as well as the book.

Ok, if I think of anything else, I'll add it later.

I did forget a couple of things! Betty Pillsbury is an award winning textile artist. She's been a guest on Simply Quilts and has photos of her beautiful crazy quilts in her gallery.

CQMagOnline is an online magazine for Crazy Quilters by Crazy Quilters. Lots of ideas and how to's here!

Last but not least, the magazine that started it all for me! Quilting Arts is a magazine for art quilters and crazy quilters. The newest issue was just released last week. They have reprinted their Premier Issue and if you can only purchase one, I would definately recommend the Premier Issue which offers information almost exclusively to crazy quilting.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails