Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Beading Crazy Quilt Seam Treatments

I started beading the seam treatments yesterday on Button Block #34:

Button Block 34

I mentioned yesterday that I intended to chat a bit about how I go about the beading. Generally, with my own charted borders, or any borders for that matter, I always look for the points and intersections.

If you look at any of my CQ pieces, the points of any border are always topped off with a bead or sequin. This adds color, light and extends the border even further. It also adds clarity which keeps the points from getting lost in over all design.

Intersections are another good place to look for possible bead placement. I use quite a few cross stitches in my charted borders and if you look closely at the bottom right-hand border, you can see that I placed beads in between the arms of the "X".

I'll talk a bit more about beading CQ borders tomorrow.

For now, here are pages 2 & 3 of my Needlecrafts Embroidery & Fancywork catalog from the 1930's:

Needlecrafts Embroidery & Fancywork Catalog Page 2

Needlecrafts Embroidery & Fancywork Catalog Page 3

Click on the images to go to my Flickr site where you can view the large version.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jo in NZ said...

Wow Pam. Thanks for that insight on how you bead seams. It definitely explaines part of the uniqueness of the "Pam" look. I do the exact opposite, and look for gaps to put beads. something for me to ponder on as I go and pick up my work. Thanks, you rock!

Hugs

Denise Felton said...

Great advice! I've scheduled a link to your post to go live on my blog later this morning (Central USA time). I hope it brings you a few extra visitors.

Denise
http://needlework.craftgossip.com

Anonymous said...

It's so interesting to see what you do and then hear what motivated you to do it.

allie aller said...

As always, your work looks so clean and well defined (and beautiful). The way you achieve this with the beads makes a lot of sense.
Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails