Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Sunday, March 25, 2007

TAST Couching

I've been needing to do some regular stitching lately, despite wanting to make more dragonflies! I wasn't sure what to start on. I have so many blocks sewn up and of course, I want to sew more blocks. I love the foundation piecing process!

I decided to just open the drawer in my Hoosier cabinet where I store my "ready to stitch" blocks and there, right on top was another intended seascape piece:

Another Seascape Cellphone Pouch

This is simply a painted dryer sheet fused to the foundation with Heat & Bond. I do this on the seascape pouches because they're so small, any crazy piecing will most likely be lost due to my embellishments. Instead, I focus on the stitching and the do-dads. The painted dryer sheets are perfect for this type of design.

The next thing I did was to add some Angelina Fibers. If you've never heard of these, I will discuss them in more detail at a later date and on a larger project. They are basically, loose fibers which bond to themselves with the application of heat creating a sheer and shimmery fabric which I then pressed onto my block.

Once that was done, I did some couching. What a wonderful technique this is! I use it quite often, esp. on these seascapes. I took some fancy yarn, and kind of just dropped it onto the block. I couched it down where it landed. For the pink yarn, I gave it some movement and couched that down. Basically, I just tacked it in place with sewing thread:

Another Seascape Cellphone Pouch 2

The aqua blue threads to the left is DMC metallic floss. I had planned to use some on here but wasn't sure what to do with it. I find it terribly challenging to work it. When I cut a piece from the skein, I saw that the strands separated on the cut end. It looked kind of whispy to me, like tree branches or sea things (you can laugh, it's ok) so again, I started couching pieces on, deliberately getting those strands to separate even more. This would be perfect if you ever want to do a tree!

Once I had that on, I added the Feather stitch with the detached chain stitch, beaded that and then added a bit of vintage tatting, added beads to that and then the seashells went on and so forth. This is how it looks at the moment:

Another Seascape Cellphone Pouch 3

I expect to complete this later today. I have some orders to package up this morning and then I plan to sponge the wall in my living room where my DVD cupboard goes. Then I can put the cupboard back in place and put my DVD's back in there. I can't however, find my giant sea sponge so it appears as if I might have to run to either Michaels or the hardware store. Since I have no control whatsoever in Michaels, it may be best if I go to the hardware store instead!

1 comment:

meggie said...

A first time visitor from Camilles Place. Very nice sea scape! I love the vintage tatting idea too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails