Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Friday, March 02, 2007

Autism Awareness Cellphone Pouch

As I mentioned earlier this week, I decided to do a few cellphone pouches to benefit charities. I've already completed the stitching on the Breast Cancer Awareness pouch so the next on my list is the Autism Awareness pouch. This is what the pieced block looked like before I started stitching on it:

Autism Cellphone Pouch

My very dear friend Kim was kind enough to stitch the puzzle piece for me which I designed specifically for this project. The puzzle piece is the Autism symbol.

I had this idea in my head that I wanted this to be very symbolic of Autism. That's the approach I took with my charted Autism Floral Design:

Autism Awareness Design

The Spring flowers represent innocence. I used 2 red tulips and 1 yellow daffodil to represent the fact that autism occurs in boys more often than in girls. The puzzle piece ribbon is of course the "official ribbon" of Autism Awareness.

I realized that the approach I used for the cross stitch design wouldn't work with the crazyquilt piece. Instead, I decided that I would treat the design the same as I would any other crazyquilt design and simply stitch it using color for balance. I did however decide that daisies remind me of innocence so I am planning to use some red SRE daisies on the vine at the top.

Upon it's completion, I will be donating $25.00 from the sale of this pouch to Our Children's Circle Autism Awareness Group.

Our Children's Circle is a support group comprised of parents, educators and community leaders who strive to provide resources for parents of children with autism spectrum disorders in order that these children may lead individual, productive, and fulfilling lives.



Here is a brief description of Autism according to the Autism Society of America:

"Autism is a complex developmental disability that typically appears during
the first three years of life and is the result of a neurological disorder
that affects the normal functioning of the brain, impacting development in
the areas of social interaction and communication skills. Both children and
adults with autism typically show difficulties in verbal and non-verbal
communication, social interactions, and leisure or play activities. A
recent study states that autism now occurs in 1 in 150 individuals; up from
1 in 166 just a few years ago. Autism is growing at a startling rate of
10-17 percent per year. At this rate, ASA estimates that the prevalence of
autism could reach 4 million Americans in the next decade"

Here's the link to the Autism Society of America's website.

This is what the Autism pouch looks like at the moment:

Autism Cellphone Pouch 2

It's quite colorful, isn't it?

If anyone is interested in it, the Autism Floral Cross Stitch design is available with a donation of $5.00 or more. You can find it on my main Kitty & Me Designs website along with a charted version of the Autism Ribbon which is also available with a donation of $5.00 or more. I donate the entire amount to Our Children's Circle. I will pay the PayPal fees myself. I do accept PayPal although it's not mentioned on my website at the moment. Simply email your order to me with the amount that you would like to donate and I will send you a PayPal invoice. The charts are delivered electronically via PDF file email attachment. You will need an email address that accepts attachments.

I expect to complete the Autism pouch today so I should have an update again for you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the way you used the red heart-shaped beads in the one seam. Cool idea!

Anonymous said...

Pam,

Your block is really coming along nicely. The bright colors in the seam treatments are "popping" against the yellow fabric.

Thank you for making an autism-themed cell phone pouch, and for writing about autism! I really appreciate your willingness to spread awareness.

Big hugs!

Kim

Julia said...

It's lovely that you are doing these cell pouches for charity Pam.
The bright colours on the Autism pouch is so vibrant and colourful.
All your pouches are beautiful and all so different in their own way.

patternnuts said...

Would you also consider selling the pattern to the puzzle piece you have pictured in the center of the pouch?
I like it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails