Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Thursday, January 27, 2022

Crazy Quilt Trinket Blocks

In between my work on the McHenry Landmark Quilt, I've been stitching on another quilt which I call my Crazy Trinket Quilt.  These are 6 inch block featuring little do-dads that I've been saving and collecting my entire life.  Some are things from my childhood, some are little things that beloved to family and loved ones no longer with me and some are collected from the flea markets and antique shops that my former husband and I used to go to when we were still together.

This block just showcases some button covers from an Autumn sweater:


The scarecrow, the turkey and the large pumpkin are the button covers.  I never use them.  They're too fiddly and I'm afraid of losing or breaking them so I put them to the side for this quilt.

The orange and yellow trim is vintage.  I found yards and yards of it at a flea market so expect to see more of it on upcoming blocks.

The block has a Happy New Year theme:

While rearranging some of my stitched pieces, I found the cross stitched Happy New Year piece.  I don't know when I stitched it but there it was, in my stash so on a block it went.

I wasn't sure what to do with this block to continue on with the New Year theme.  I didn't have much in my stash that would convey the theme so I worked with color more than anything else.

The large white flowers are from a necklace I found at a garage sale a few years ago.  I took it apart and left the little dangling beads on it.  

The tiny clock is a charm as is the moon.  I used 2 MM silk ribbon to create some streamers, pulling the idea out of the stitched piece and then I added some gold star sequins.  I think it works!

I think this gives me 43 blocks now.  I don't have a completion goal with this quilt.  I don't care if I end up with 100 or 200 blocks and I don't care when I get it done.  I just want to a place to display my little do-dads.

So this one will continue for awhile!


2 comments:

Judy S. said...

How fun it that! Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Karen Isaacson said...

I'm making a CQ and including not only old buttons and the usual lace, etc., but also things that 'mean something to me'. One thing I've done is print out things to sew on my CQ, including, as an example, a map of Europe and 'postage stamps' from some of the countries I visited when I was there in 1972. I have plans to add an airplane charm and a compass rose, and saved off your trinket block as inspiration!

Related Posts with Thumbnails