Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Sunday, May 09, 2021

McHenry Crazy Quilt Block 21

I've been slowly working on my McHenry Crazy Quilt which features vintage and antique photos of the landmarks in my area.  I just completed Block #21:


This was the Central Opera House.  There was a store on the main level and then upstairs, was an Opera House.  

Sadly, it burned down just a few years ago.  Personally, I think it was a long match but that's just me.  It wouldn't be the first time that's happened in McHenry.  Heartbreaking but at least we have lots of great old photos to remember it.

Here's the entire quilt so far:


Looking at my list of historical buildings, I'm thinking there will be 40 blocks all together.  So 19 more to go.  Each block is 9 inches square and hand pieced on a cotton foundation fabric.

I wanted this one to look as authentically Victorian as possible.  I'm using what I could call Victorian type fabrics in traditional Victorian colors.  No beads, sequins or do-dads on this one.  Any lace that I use is either vintage or antique.  The photos are printed on fabric sheets that go through inkjet printer.

Each block has a spider web on it worked in metallic gold thread and the spider is created with vintage Mother Of Pearl buttons.  The Victorians considered spiders to be good luck!

The lettering is charted out in my cross stitch software and then stitched on the blocks using Waste Canvas which gets removed once the stitching is complete.

So the next block will be our old Universalist Church which thankfully, still stands!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails