Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

How To Assemble A CrazyQuilt - Step 1

Since I'm putting my Marie Antoinette CrazyQuilt together, I thought I would share step by step, the process that I use to assemble my crazyquilts.  I know other crazyquilters have shared their process but I'm sure we all do things a little differently.

How To Assemble A Crazyquilt

Step 1

The first step is to trim and square up the blocks.  I use a self-healing mat and a rotary cutter:


You may be wondering why I have so much extra fabric.  I like to stitch in hoop.  Many crazyquilter's don't but for me, without a hoop, my hand gets tired  Using a hoop also keeps my stitching from distorting the blocks.  The excess foundation fabric is so the block fits in my 12 inch quilters hoop.

I always allow a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Again, many crazyquilters leave the traditional seam allowance of 1/4 inch. I prefer to leave a 1/2 inch seam for crazyquilts.  The reason for this is due to the variety of fabrics and thicknesses.  A 1/2 seam will lay flat no matter what fabrics are used.

The blocks for my Marie Antoinette quilt are 9 inch blocks.  With a 1/2 inch seam allowance, my blocks are trimmed to 10 inches.

 Now that my blocks are all trimmed up, I will start sewing it together.  Due to the weight of my crazyquilts, I sew my quilts down onto yet another foundation.  I'll show you how in Step 2.

5 comments:

LuLu Kellogg said...

Quilting is something I have always wanted to learn how to do and I am hoping to learn this winter during the slow time of my business. I love that you shared how you put this together! I would have to stitch on a hoop too because I know my hands would get tired!

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

Shawkl said...

What a great idea for a tutorial! You go girl! Your blocks are fabulous by the way!
Kathy
www.shawkl.com

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Thank you!!! You have answered a couple of questions I had about CQ. I like the idea of a larger foundation to you can use a hoop. Sometimes I wonder what I don't think about doing what others do, BEFORE they mention it. Such an easy solution.

thanks again!!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Thanks for sharing this Pam. I just kind of 'wing it' on things and it is really helpful to see how the more experienced crazy quilters do things. Warm regards, Connie

Glenda said...

love your work and your blog. love glenda

Related Posts with Thumbnails