Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Friday, December 29, 2006

Vintage Collar

Again, I don't have any stitching to share today. I'm having serious withdrawal symptoms! I've had a little trouble deciding on what I want to start on. Sometimes, it's not good to have so many ideas!

Today, I thought you would enjoy seeing this beautiful vintage collar that I found last weekend at the antique mall:

Vintage Collar

It needs to be washed but I'm a little afraid to do that. I thought about having it dry-cleaned but I have reservations about that as well. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure how old it is but I'm assuming it's from the 40's or 50's based on the style. What are you're thoughts? Do any of my readers have experience with cleaning something like this? Can anyone confirm the 40's/50's era for me?

There is a tag on the back that says, "Made In India" - Baar & Beards Inc N.Y.

I'm sure it won't be any surprise to you that I plan to use it to make a purse. I can see this along the edge of a purse flap, with crazyquilting in the center.

So this is what I really want to start on but until I can determine if I can clean it or not, I'll put that idea on hold and do something else instead. As soon as I can decide on what the "something" else will be!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy Brick, in "Hanky Panky Crazy Quilts" recommends fillng a wash basin with lukewarm water; add a teasoon of non-chlorine bleach. Let soak for at least an hour. Next add a teaspoon of a mild soap like Ivory Snow or Orvus (NOT detergent) and swish gently for a few minutes. Let soak for at least a half hour. Drain the soapy water and risne the items at least twice with lukewarm water. Iron dry on a towel. Works on vintage hankies, might work for you.
Cris in MT

Susan said...

Cris' idea sounds good. Is it discolored or stained in any way? If not, you might be able to dry clean it yourself in your dryer. We use those dry cleaner sheets all the time.

Wouldn't it be nice to have something like a microwave. You put the item in, close it, push the button, and in a few minutes, it comes out clean and dry. Everything has been taken off with some mysterious ray or something. =)

Linda B said...

I would baste this collar to a fine piece of netting or orgqanza and then let it rest in a bath of warm water and soap as described by Cris, and in this manner it will not lose any of it's shape and beauty. If all else fails, I would just be safe and air it by using dryer sheets in an acid free box, storing it for several days, and work with it as an antique.

Jan said...

I'd go with warm water and Orvus quilt soap. It's always worked for me. :)

Jan J.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Can you get ahold of a conservator from your local museum? I had a dress from India with gold trim and it bled(?) all over the white cloth ... A conservator would know how to clean it, or at least know where to look to find out ... It shouldn't cost anything to ask :)

It looks beautiful ...
*back to lurkdom*

Anonymous said...

Pam, this looks like early to mid '50s to me - would have been used on a cashmere or fine wool (or the new miracle yarn, orlon, lol) jewel-neck sweater. Googling, I found this for the company - no web site given, but they might be able to give you some more info:

Baar & Beards, Inc.
350 5th Ave Suite #7000
New York, NY , 10018
Address Map
Phone: 212-391-6606
FAX: 212-967-4936
Toll Free Phone: 800-223-7557
E-Mail: wachtela@parisacc.com
Business Activity: Manufacturer / Exporter / Importer
Unionized Company

Products Description:
Ladies scarves & accessories

I'd try the drycleaner sheets, myself. If the base is the usual semi-icky taffeta stuff so much of the Indian imports were done on in that era, water will not be kind to it.

Susan, that "microwave" idea is SUPERB! Get to work, girl!

Related Posts with Thumbnails