Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Book Review - "Crazy As A Bed-Quilt"

A friend of mine recently told me of a new crazy quilt book and of course, I had to have to it for my collection. It's called, "Quilting News Of Yesteryear" - "Crazy As A Bed-Quilt" by Sue Reich:

Crazy As A Bed Quilt

This charming little book contains over 200 newspaper articles on crazy-quilting dating from 1880 to 1945.

I'm about 1/2 through the book and am fascinated with the attitudes and perspectives of the times. Crazy quilting was quite the "craze" when the fad first took off. In this book, you'll learn about the obsession that crazy-quilting became. It was described as "making everyone crazy", not just the stitcher! Too funny!

Anyway, there are poems, stories, interviews, advertisments and more. A charming addition to your crazy quilt book collection.

My only disappointment is in the photographs. The photos are closeups of the stitches rather than full size quilts. The author explains the reason for this in the beginning of the book. Please don't let that discourage you from ordering however. It really is a fun journey through eyes of those who experienced the crazy fad! The book can be found at Amazon.com.

I did see some nice stitch combinations in the photographs and charted one out to try. I thought I would share it with you:

Star And Fan Charted Border

Click on the image to go to my Flickr site where you can download the larger version.

If you're new to my blog, my charted borders are worked with a product called "Waste Canvas". I use this to create perfectly sized and spaced stitches on my own crazy quilts. The directions for working with waste canvas are available in my own book along with 81 charted borders:

Elegant Crazy Quilt Seam Treatments

It is available in my Etsy shop.

3 comments:

Susan said...

That's a great seam and I'm putting the book on my Christmas wish list. I saw it in one of the quilt shops this week. Maybe Piecemakers. I was looking over the button blocks on Flickr, and I love the seam on #26 - the wavy one. So pretty!

I was trying one of the seams from the book at my friend's house, but I had the 14 waste canvas with me, and I don't think my eyes can do that any more! I've bought some 8.5 and we'll try that before moving on to 10. =)

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

I agree Pam,the book is filled with wonderful stories. I bought it a while ago and still haven't read it all. Too much to devour at once. Glad your'e back blogging.
Hugs,Pat

sharonb said...

HI Pam thanks for the review of the book but I was wondering does it cover only US crazy quilt history or what was happening in the UK and Australia too as often there is a US only assumption. Just curious I will add it to my library probably as I can't resist anything on the topic.

Related Posts with Thumbnails