Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Embellishing Maxine's Quilt

I spent almost all day yesterday working on Maxine's quilt. I spoke with her on the phone yesterday afternoon and I'll be meeting with her on Friday. We're going to re-evaluate this project a bit. I'll let you know over the weekend where this will be going.

In the meantime, here are the things I did yesterday. First, I had a lot of trouble with the velvet pansies that I made. I've made them before and they always worked out great but for some reason, they didn't this time.

Instead, my mom crocheted a few pansies for me:

Antique Crazy Quilt Embellishment

I love these! They look so old-fashioned. I sewed them onto a large patch and added a few vintage velvet millinery flowers. The leaves are the ones that I bought in Galena on Monday. I sewed them on and then added a few sequins down the centers for sparkle.

Next, I did some Yo-Yo flowers. Ladies, if you enjoy working with Yo-Yo's, this is the way to go! I made 3 Yo-Yo's in less than 10 minutes using the Clover Yo-Yo Maker that I mentioned in yesterday's post:

Antique Crazy Quilt Embellishment 2

This patch has a "ready to stitch" design printed on it. It's velveteen and was printed in white. Some of the design was under the patch above it so I stitched the leaves and then added the Yo-Yo flowers. I made these from Panne Velvet. Not easy to work with as it's stretchy but with the Yo-Yo maker, it was a piece of cake!

Using some of the Chenille thread that Sharon sent to me, I did some big Lazy Daisy stitches and then beaded inside of those.

This was an interesting piece. The design was painted onto this silk patch:

Antique Crazy Quilt Embellishment 3

The paint however, was starting to crack so I followed what was there, stitching the stems & leaves and then added my signature bugle beads to the centers of the Lazy Daisy leaves. I then used some vintage velvet Forgetmenot flowers from Maxine's collection of things that she gave me to use on this quilt.

Last but not least, I added some silk flowers to this already couched on vine:

Antique Crazy Quilt Embellishment 4

Again, I added some beads to the center of these.

I'll be working on this again most of the day today. What I think we're going to do is to balance it out a bit more, adding just a few more "points of interest" here and there and then adding a new back and binding. I'll explain more on that over the weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there - thatnks for the updates, they make fascinating viewing. I have two questions:

1 - does your mum use a pattern for her crotchet pansies?

2 - are yo-yo flowers the same as Suffolk puffs?

Pamela Kellogg said...

Hi Melusine,

Yes, my mom uses a vintage pattern for her crocheted pansies.

As for the Yo-Yo's, I've never heard of Suffolk puffs. Can you describe those to me?

Anonymous said...

Basically Suffolk Puffs are circles of fabric which have a running stitch worked round the edged of them - the thread is then pulled to gather the edge into the centre creating somthing a bit like a bag which is then flattened with the gathered bit in the centre. They are very popular for making toys. I'd made them a couple of times - when I made some Yule bells for gifts.

PS - is there any chance of getting a copy of the pansy pattern?

Related Posts with Thumbnails