Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Small Creatures

Sometimes, even on the cloudiest days, a little ray of sunshine will peek through, even if only for a few moments.

While walking yesterday morning, I found an injured Cardinal.  He was sitting in the middle of the street.  His wing broken and his tail gone.  Well, ya'll know me.  I couldn't leave him there.  I picked him up and brought him home:

He hopped around my mudroom, he ate some sunflower seeds and he chirped a little bit.  I made some phone calls and made arrangements to take him to the wildlife rehab center which is not far from where I live.

I pulled out one of my small kitty carriers and fixed it up with a towel for him so I could safely transport him to the rehab center.  Sadly, he didn't make it.  But at least I was able to give him a quiet place to pass in peace and quiet with dignity.  Last night, Scott buried this beautiful little bird in our backyard.

Isn't it amazing what the tiniest of creatures give to us?  For a short time, I was so focused on this precious little bird, that I had momentary relief from my grief for losing Simba.  All creatures great and small.

6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your heart is healing.
xx, Carol

LuLu Kellogg said...

At least that sweet little bird spend his last moments on earth with an Angel like you.

XOXO

Sarah Sequins said...

You're such a good person to take care of the cardinal like that! It makes me wonder how you'd feel about volunteering at an animal shelter -- sounds like you'd be a natural. :)

A few years ago, a baby robin fell out of his nest. I set him up with a makeshift nest and even dug up some worms for him to eat. The little guy didn't make it, but it was nice to be there for him like that.

Gina E. said...

Oh Pam....how sad that this beautiful little bird didn't survive, but with injuries like that it was probably for the best, and it was so good that you were able to give him some comfort in his last hours. I didn't realise the Cardinals had such brilliant red feathers - I can see why you encourage them to your feeders.

FredaB said...

Dear Pam

I have been so busy with the move from Florida back home and into the gigantic garden this year that I haven't been reading blogs for a few weeks. I am so sorry to hear that you lost your dear cat Simba. I know you must feel very sad and lost.

The dear little cardinal at least had a good last day in your hands. They are my favorite bird and I just love seeing them just flitting around. You never see Mrs. without Mr. far behind or vice versa.

Hope you are feeling better with this good weather.

Hugs

FredaB

Sew Sew Special said...

Oh the poor thing, what a kind and loving gesture you made..I like to think the lil guy or gal is flying happy high above the clouds...

Related Posts with Thumbnails