Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Monday, February 02, 2015

Challenging Seam Treatments

In working on my current project, I ran into a seam treatment that just didn't show up well.  As I've mentioned once or twice before (LOL!) I use waste canvas to stitch the majority of my crazy quilt seams. 

Judging by the thread color that I used, I thought it would show up just fine but it wasn't until I pulled the waste canvas out that I could see that it didn't.

I do not like to pull threads out.  I remember doing that so many times with counted cross stitch.  Instead, I like to use beads and sequins to make the seam pop or at least show up better.

I went with electric blue beads for the points on the little fan stitches.  That helped.  Then I added larger aqua beads to the base of the fan stitches.  Finally, I added some light blue sequins.

As you can see, this did make a difference.  The electric blue seed beads elongated the fans.  The aqua beads and the sequins are eye catching so they draw attention to the seam even though the actual stitching still tends to blend into the print.

I honestly thought this shaded thread color would have shown up just fine but it didn't.

Using brighter colored beads for a dark background or darker colors for a light background will help to bring attention to a seam that doesn't pop.

It's just a matter of choosing the right colors.  You have to experiment.  And it's not a perfect fix but if you dislike ripping as much as I do, this is a good alternative.




1 comment:

Mosaic Magpie said...

When in doubt....add more bling!
Deb

Related Posts with Thumbnails