Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

German Raw Apple Cake

I mentioned in my post yesterday that I was going to make some Apple Cake.  I tried a recipe that I never tried before and I must say, this cake came out awesome!

Yes, I put sprinkles on everything! 

The recipe came from a cookbook that I bought many years ago when Scott and I were in Lancaster, PA.  It's called, Lancaster County Cookbook by Louise Stoltzfus and Jan Mast.  The copyright date is 1993:

Here's the recipe:

German Raw Apple Cake

2 1/4 cups cake flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
2 cups diced apples

Topping: 

1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1.  Sift together flour, salt and cinnamon.
2.  Cream together shortening, sugars and eggs.
3. Stir baking soda into sour milk.  Add milk and dry ingredients alternately to creamed mixture.  Fold in apples.  Spread into greased 9 inch X 13 inch baking pan.
4.  To prepare topping, combine all ingredients and sprinkle over cake batter.
5.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes or until done.

I didn't have cake flour so I used all purpose flour and I didn't have any nuts so I just did without them.  I made a simple glaze of powdered sugar, milk, cinnamon and vanilla and drizzled it on the cake after it was cooled.  Then I added the sprinkles.

I don't know if this book is still available or not but every recipe I've tried from has been excellent!





3 comments:

Dani - tkdchick said...

Looks tasty!!!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

mmmmmm - wish I could come & have a piece with you!

Monica said...

Yes, it looks like a good recipe. It's hard to go wrong when there's sour cream involved! It may be a good one for a pot luck.

Related Posts with Thumbnails