Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Orange Seascape Cellphone Pouch

My mom asked me if I would make her another cellphone pouch. I've only made one for her so far because she's never needed to use her cellphone too much but under the circumstances, she has it with her all the time now. She would like another one so she can alternate. I asked her how she felt about a seascape and she loved that idea so this is my next little project:

Orange Seascape Pouch

Using Heat & Bond, I first added one of my painted dryer sheets to a piece of muslin. Then I added some Angelina Fiber and a bit of pulled silk cocoon. This technically won't be crazy quilting but rather a mixed media project. I have a few things to take care of then I'll start adding some stitching and embellishments to this.

I was asked how to dry pansies in the microwave. It's actually quite simple. I laid out some pansies on a paper towel, covered them with another paper towel and put a heavy glass pot on top of them to weigh them down and keep them flat. Then I microwaved them for 1 minute on 50% power. I repeated that 2 more times and then removed the pot. Then I microwaved them for 30 seconds on 50% power another 2 or 3 times.

You can tell when they're done because the paper towel will be dry and you can only do a few seconds at a time or they will burn. They do keep their color well in the microwave. All microwaves are different so you'll have to experiment a little bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had a microwave dyeing class but we did it a little differently coz we used cotton fabric. I will keep a copy of this post with my notes from class. I love the instant gratification you get with the microwave process.

patternnuts said...

I never would have thought it could be done that way! Wow, thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails