Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Friday, July 29, 2022

McHenry Illinois Landmark Crazy Quilt

 I completed another block for the McHenry Landmark Crazy Quilt:

This is the Nicholas Bohr Stone House built in 1911.  It's located on Broad Street here in McHenry, Illinois where I live.  

This is the 2nd house that Nick Bohr built for his family.  He was a stone mason and plastered a lot of the of the historic homes and building in the early 1900's.

This is a traditional Victorian style crazy quilt that I started back in 2017.  Each block is 9 inches square and pieced by hand on a cotton foundation.  

Here is a photo of all the blocks so far:

If you click on the photo, you can see a larger version.

All stitching is done by hand.  The lace is either vintage or antique and the only embellisments are a few vintage buttons.

I have 6 more blocks to do and then I can start to assemble it which I will do on the sewing machine!

Some of the buildings on this quilt are no longer standing.  Many of them are.  I will put together a book with photos of the individual blocks and a brief description of each landmark.  That book will benefit The McHenry Area Historical Society.  I'm on the board and I'm also on the McHenry Landmark Commission.

Anyway, first I have to complete it.  I'm thinking it will be 7 blocks across and 5 down.  Since it will be displayed somewhere in town (I have a place in mind), I think that arrangement of the blocks will be more visually appealing than to assemble it lengthwise. 


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails