Crazy Quilting, Cross Stitch and Embroidery Blog

Home Of CRAZY QUILT QUARTERLY MAGAZINE!


Add This To

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Kitty Wall Quilt

Last week, I mentioned that I was going to put together a little wall quilt for my Pink room.  I did that over the weekend and finished it up yesterday morning.

It started out with this, an unstitched, vintage stamped tablerunner that I found at a flea market awhile back:

It had some damage on one end but the other end was in good shape.  I stitched it last Fall, not really knowing what I wanted to do with it.  I finally decided to sew it into a little wall quilt.

I pulled out a few of my 1930's reproduction prints:

After adding a piece of lightweight fusible interfacing to the back of the stitched piece, I trimmed it.  Then I cut strips of the 30's prints in various widths and sewed them down to a foundation.  When I had that done, I cut the strips and sewed them on each side of the quilt.

Then I added 2 borders.  When the front of the quilt was done, I ironed a piece of fusible fleece to the back of the quilt knowing that I had no intention of hand or machine quilting it!

Before sewing the back on, I added a sleeve into the seam at the top, attached to the backing fabric so I could hang it.  I wanted to do it all on the machine rather than by hand.  Then I sewed the back to the quilt like a pillowcase, leaving an opening at the bottom for turning right side out.  I blind stitched the opening at the bottom closed and pressed the entire quilt.

Last, I made a few fabric yo-yo's to sew onto the corners of the stitched piece using some vintage buttons in the center of the yo-yo's.  They are sewn through to the back into smaller buttons.  The purpose of this was to hold the front of the quilt and the back of the quilt together.  Like I said, I didn't want to "quilt" it.

Here is the finished quilt:

And here it is displayed in my little pink room:

The quilt rod is up a little high.  I had one of my crazy quilts hanging in here but I got tired of looking at it.  It was larger than this so the rod for that one was at the right height.  I didn't want to move the rod and leave holes in my walls so I balanced this out by putting this pretty porcelain doll on the dresser.

On the other side of the dresser I have a vintage mirrored dresser tray with a small lamp.  The mirror reflects the light.  It's really pretty in person.

This quilt looks very "1930's"!  It looks a little babyish but I don't care, I like that look and the pretty pastel colors!


6 comments:

annmarie said...

Lovely - looks vey nice in your pink room.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Perfect fabrics for this piece.

Gina E. said...

I just love it, Pam! I don't bother going to the expense of framing my embroidered projects any more - they look much nicer with a frame of fabric that matches the stitchery in some way!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I don't think it looks babyish at all. Using the repro fabrics was the perfect choice and set of the embroidery beautifully. Looks great in your room!

Renee said...

Lovely!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

This is so adorable! I love the fabric you chose! Such a pretty work of art!

Related Posts with Thumbnails