Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

History Of Victorian Tussy Mussy's

My mom just goes to town on these:

Victorian Tussy Mussy for Mother

Tussy mussy's are so beautiful and it never ceases to amaze me how Mom makes each one is prettier than the last!  I know she has some more in the works.

Tussy mussy's have become quite popular again.  During the 1700's, pestilence was quite prevalent while indoor plumbing was not.  Ladies would carry little bouquets of herbs and flowers to avoid the unpleasant odors around them.

In the Victorian era, every flower had a meaning.  Gentlemen callers would offer a floral bouquet to their sweethearts and the girls would have to decipher the meaning of the flowers chosen for them using a book called,  Tussy Dictionary.

Today, our Tussy Mussy's are used of course for weddings but we also use them as ornaments, gift holders and home decor just because they're pretty!  Mom's of course are adornments but many paper crafter's make them as gifts and fill them with candies & cookies, laces & other sewing trinkets and all sorts of little bits &  bobs.

Don't you just love old-fashioned things?  I do!

Mom's Tussy Mussys are available for purchase in our Boutique!

I have a couple of finishes to share with you too.  I made these over the weekend for gifts:

Birdbath

Birdbath

I don't know why I suddenly have a thing for making birdbaths out of vintage glassware!  I just love making these!  I've done what, about 6 of them now?  And there will be more I'm sure!  One of these days, I'll make one for myself!

I've been a busy bee all day today.  I ran my sewing machine and sewed up a whole pile of fun new projects.
Some Crazy Quilt cat dolls, some Crazy Quilt hanging pillows, some sachets and several new art quilts.  Oh, I'm just itching to play with those!  But I must finish up the little CQ door knob hanger that I'm working on now.



Please visit our Shabby Chic Boutique!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Love your glassware birdbaths. That's a great idea! You can find more things to do with antiques than anyone I know.

And your mom's TM is very nice, too. If I ever have a house again ....

Gina E. said...

I am so glad you explained your Tussy Mussy creations, Pam. I had absolutely no idea what they were, but didn't want to make a fool of myself by asking!

Related Posts with Thumbnails