Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Friday, August 09, 2019

McHenry Historical Crazy Quilt Blocks 9, 10 and 11

I've been doing a little stitching on my McHenry Historical Crazy Quilt.  You may remember, I started this project a few years back and work on it little by little as I have time.

I've completed 3 more blocks which are worked in the traditional Victorian style.  They're pieced entirely by hand on a cotton foundation.  All lace is either very vintage or antique.  Other than a little lace, the embellishments are limited to hand embroidery and each block has a tiny spider made from little vintage mother of pearl buttons.  I'm trying to use traditional Victorian colors on these blocks.  And no beads or sequins (I do miss stitching with my glitter!)

Block 9:

I'm using old photos of historic McHenry, Illinois buildings.  This is the Empire Theater built in 1919.  It burned down in the 1950's.  A new theater was built on the same spot 18 months later and then completely restored last year.

This is before the remodel:

 And this is what it looks like today:



Block 10:

This is the public school built in 1894.  It's still used as a grade school and it's called Landmark.  The land was donated by an early McHenry family, The Owens.  They also donated the school bell which still hangs in the tower.

Here's what it looks like today:



 Block 11:

This one is my favorite!  This is referred to as The Counts House!

This beautiful Greek Revival style home has a facade on both Waukegan St and another on Main St. The 1 acre property was purchased in 1859 from George Gage by a prominant physician, Dr. William P. Melendy and his wife Mary.

The house was built in 1860. The Melendys, who eventually moved to California sold the house to Oliver Owen in 1873. Oliver Owen (the Owen family donated the land for the school above)  sold the house to Frederick Schnoor only a few months later.. Eventually, in 1912, Fred deeded the house to his son for $1.00. Yes, you read that right!

In 1920, the house was sold to an Austrian dignitary who immigrated to Chicago. Count Oskar Bopp Von Oberstadt. He sold the house in 1927 when he moved back to Europe.

It was Count Oskar who gifted the church bell to St. Patrick's Catholic church here in McHenry!

The house sits on the highest ground in McHenry and was loaded with fruit trees when the Count sold it.

So that's how this gorgeous home came to be known as The Counts House.

It is listed now on the National Register of Historic places.


This is the house today:




So do I know my McHenry, Illinois history or what?  LOL!!  I love it!!!

I still have a lot of history to document so it'll be awhile yet before this quilt is complete.  When I do finish it, I will be gifting it to the City Of McHenry.  I'd love to see it hang in City Hall!

7 comments:

Arlene Delloro said...

Wonderful blocks! This is a great project. Looking forward to seeing more blocks.

Shirlee Fassell said...

Fabulous!
As I was reading I was thinking the town Historical Society would love to get this to display and then you said you are gifting it to them...what a wonderful labor of love!

Pamela Kellogg said...

Arlene, thanks! I need to run and get some more ink for my printer and then I can piece some more blocks.

Shirlee, I love McHenry and I love McHenry history! These are 9 inch blocks so this quilt will be quite large. I think it's something that everyone in McHenry should get to enjoy!

liefdevoortextiel said...

Wat geweldig zijn je crazy quilts en je katten!

Susan said...

I examined each block carefully and declare them all beautiful! What wonderful embroidery, and laces, and those spiders - perfect! Thank you for showing the historical places as they are today, too. That is so interesting to see. Great job!

Gina E. said...

What a fabulous project! So much history in your quilt! City Hall will be delighted to receive it, I bet.

Werna Gail said...

I have been out of touxch with blog land for a few years, but glad to see you are still here. I think in years past you may have visited my blog. My daughter-in-law was born and raised in McHenry she and my son now live in Wonderlake, I wish she could read your blog and see the quilt you are making. I am a big fan of your work, you are an inspirationto me.
Werna Gail

Related Posts with Thumbnails