Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Thursday, May 06, 2010

Art Quilts

One thing always leads to another.  It's funny how that works.  I thought crazy quilting was unlimited but I've since discovered that Mixed Media Art Quilts are truly without boundries.

My Spring Song Art Quilt is ready for finishing:

Spring Song Art Quilt

Today, I added the tiny birds nest and the eggs, some paper punched butterflies and a light dusting of glitter on the flowers.  I'm particularly fond of Martha Stewart's glitter.  When I do the machine finishing on this, I'll have to use my zipper foot to get around that nest.  I should have some sewing machine time over the weekend.

Early this morning, I started on my Teatime Kittens Art Quilt:

Teatime Kittens Art Quilt

I have some little poly clay strawberries that I made awhile back so I plan to use those and I'm thinking maybe a few cupcakes?  Not sure yet.

My approach to these is to layer whatever suits my fancy at the moment and then work with that as a blank canvas.  As with my crazy quilting, I do like to have some sort of a focal point and theme to work with.  I really enjoy letting these art quilts take me where ever they want to take me.  There's no right or wrong.  It's all about feel and what I want to play with at the time.  It's very freeing!

I thought I'd share a few photos from my garden with you.  First are my Bleeding Hearts:

Bleeding Hearts

Years ago, my husband and I planted a Bleeding Heart.  It did very well and quadrupled in size!  Until the Lily Of The Valley took over that part of the garden and choked the Bleeding Heart out.

I had mentioned at that time, to my neighbor Larry, that I lost my Bleeding Heart due to the Lily Of The Valley.   Scott has since dug that all out.  Last year, when I was so sick and crazy, I was out on the front porch, looking at the garden and saw a Bleeding Heart plant a foot or two from where our original one was.  For a moment, I thought I was really losing my mind!  And then Larry came over for a few minutes and asked if I noticed anything different in my garden.  What a sweet man!  He planted a new one for me!!!!  It's blooming now and everytime I look at it, I think of my dear neighbor and his kindness to me.  People will always remember how you make them feel!

I can't remember for the life of me what these are called:

Purple Flowers

I love these because they just grow and grow and grow!

Have a great evening everyone!

3 comments:

Judy S. said...

I LOVE your bleeding hearts! That's one of my very favorite flowers and refuses to grow in my garden.
Right at the moment eveything is growing very slowly thanks to our recent cold snap. Would you believe we woke up in OR to 4 inches of SNOW? And heard there were 32 inches further up the road! We were glad to come home....

Magpie's Mumblings said...

If you have a peek at my blog post today, I think we have the same plant (or pretty close!). Too funny that we both posted it the same day.
I really like the addition of the bird nest and tiny eggs on Spring Song - a perfect finishing touch. Wouldn't it be fun to be having tea along with the Teatime Kittens?

Sandy G said...

Hey Pam, love your bleeding heart. I have one that is big and beautiful! If you think of the name of the purple flower, please let me know. It looks like an interesting plant to grow. I don't think I have ever seen it before.

Related Posts with Thumbnails