Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Borders

I just finished sewing the pink satin borders on my Crazy Garden Quilt:

Floral Crazy Quilt Assembly 9

My mom has tried showing me about 2 dozen times how to do mitered corners but unfortunately, my crazy ADD brain just can't seem to get it.  So, to quote Frank Sinatra, I did it my way!

The next step is to hand-sew more of the trim along the inside edge where the quilt meets the border.  I have a little straightening up to do and then I'll start on that.

I won't be using the pink satin on the back.  I just don't feel that it's sturdy enough of a fabric to support the weight of this quilt.  Instead, I have some light pink Quilter's Cotton that I'll use.  When I get that to that step!

I was thinking more on my Crazy Button Quilt.  I'll be putting that one together not long after I finish up on this one.  The Button Quilt will weigh at least twice what this one does so instead of supporting it with quilt batting, I plan to use a heavy weight muslin.  If you would like to see those blocks again, click here.  I did these before I got sick and never got around to doing the finishing.  I plan to hang the Button Quilt over my husband's dresser in the bedroom.

In the meantime, I made some Easter Haystack candies this morning:

Easter Haystacks

For mom's birthday, I made them with chocolate.  This time, I used white almond bark (which just tastes like vanilla) and I tinted it with food coloring.  I tucked a Cadbury Mini Egg on top.  Aren't they pretty?

In other news, I finally re-posted my Tutorials in my sidebar.  If you're looking for how to do Crayon Tinting or How to Wash Vintage & Antique Lace, you can find the directions in the sidebar on the left.

I've received several email messages from some of my very sweet readers, asking me how I'm feeling.  I don't talk about it too much anymore as I'm trying to focus on my creativity, my blog and my Etsy shop.  I'm doing ok.  I still have some physical pain, well discomfort really, mainly in my back.  I still have that awful feeling of crushing pressure in my body.  Although it's not as bad as it was and yes, my head still feels screwy.  Again, not as bad as it was.  I still can't feel much in the way of emotions but I do get twinges of it now and then.  I really try not to get discouraged.  After 15 months, I do feel sometimes like maybe this is as good as it gets.  I'm told it'll go away in time so I try to keep that in mind.  Still, I just want to feel like myself again.  It's been a long time.  I'm always tired and still go to bed at 7 pm but some of that may be the Zoloft.  Geez, when they say "depression hurts", they ain't kidding!

Finally for today, I'm thinking of adding a list of my favorite Etsy shops to the sidebar.  I really do believe in "Buying Handmade" and I'd like to help promote that.  If you have an Etsy shop and you make pretty, feminine "cottage style" items, please email ( please don't post it in my comments) me your shop address for consideration.

That's it for now everyone.  Have to wash some dishes, fold a load of laundry and then I can sit and do a bit hand sewing.  Have a good night!

6 comments:

Annie said...

If you can't do mitered corners, then I don't feel so bad anymore about not being able to do them. I think of you as being able to do it all!

Beautiful work on this quilt and that candy looks yummy!

allie aller said...

The pink border is heavenly...!!
And YOUR way is the right way for this quilt.
Thanks for the report on your health, too. You are moving in the right direction....

Betty said...

Pam, we just need 15 minutes together for me to show you mitered borders. But, that quilt is just stunning how it is. Grand!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The pink borders remind me of a blanket that was on my bed when I was little. It was heavy dark pink wool trimmed with a light pink satin border similar to your quilt.
Mitered corners aren't my forte either - I can do them, but they always look wonky. Personally I think you and Frank have the right idea!

Judy S. said...

Very pretty, Pam! Have a nice Easter~~~your little haystacks look very tasty!

Gina E. said...

Pam, your garden quilt is absolutely gorgeous! The pink satin border suits it perfectly. I can also relate to your problem with mitred corners; every time someone shows me how to do them, they make it look so easy, but once I'm on my own and trying to do it, they never turn out right!

Related Posts with Thumbnails