Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Flea Market Finds & Tropical Gingerbread Cake

It was a lovely day here in Northern Illinois. Sunny and temps around 60 degrees. We went to a flea market this morning and I found some more treasures to add to my collections. First, some vintage pins and old lace:

Pins

I saw the feather pin and immediately thought it was time to do another peacock project!

Next are some vintage handkerchiefs:

Hankies

I love the ones with the machine embroidered flowers on them. In fact, I'm planning a new CQ quilt project using some of my vintage hankie collection. I think it'll be a nice project to help me get through the Winter months.

Last but not least, are 2 vintage baking booklets. One is from Bakers Coconut and the other is from a chocolate company. Both are from 1925:

Baking Booklets

Of course, the minute I got home, I had to try one of the recipes using my new Kitchenaid:

Tropical Gingerbread Cake

Here's the recipe for TROPICAL GINGERBREAD CAKE:

2 cups Cake Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/8 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Butter or Shortening
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Egg, well beaten
2/3 cup Molasses
1 cup Baker's Coconut (shredded coconut)
3/4 cup sour milk or Buttermilk

Sift flour once,measure, and add baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt
and sift together 3 times. Cream butter thoroughly, add sugar gradually, and cream together until light and fluffy. Add egg, molasses, and coconut. Add flour alternately with milk, a small amount at a time. Beat after each addition until smooth. Bake in greased pan, 8 X 8 X 2 inches, in moderate oven (350 degrees) for 30 minutes.


I frosted it with cream cheese frosting and of course added sprinkles.

Please keep in mind that I typed up the recipe exactly as written in my book. We don't have to do all that sifting anymore. Once is enough.

You know, I used to totally stress about staying on topic as much as possible. I didn't want to stray too far from my needlework theme. Under the circumstances, I'm simply blogging about what I'm doing. I am stitching and will have a photo of my vintage Vogart dresser scarf as soon as it's done but I do think that daily progress photos on that is a bit boring.

Thinking about things now, I'm not sure why I always felt that I had to stay on topic. I mean, there's more to me than just stitching and designing. I've always love baking and I collect all sorts of little vintage things that are pretty and fun to look at. I'm a very domestic person and I guess I'm starting to think that since this is my blog, it can be whatever I want it to be.

I confess, I've lost about 1/2 of my daily readers due to my lack of posting during my illness. I imagine in time, my readers will come back and maybe with a few new topics like baking and other things that I do, maybe I'll attract some new readers.

In the meantime, I hope my readers who have stayed with me through this trying year, are enjoying whatever I write about!

I'm trying to figure out how to have my comments sent to my email address. I would love to reply to everyone's comments but it would be so much easier if could just reply to an email. If anyone knows how I can set that up, please let me know.

Ok, I'm off to wash up a few dishes and then I need to take a bath and call it a day.

5 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Fun stuff you found...wish we had flea markets like that here. There are some, but I never seem to be able to find anything worth buying.
As for you blog - it should be what makes you happy! You never know what will appear on mine and I figure if people aren't interested, they don't have to read it. My blog is more or less my conscience because it forces me to work on projects, just so I have something to show once in awhile. Other times it's just nattering on about nothing (hence why it's called 'Mumblings'). I don't expect people to read it and if they do (and leave an occasional comment) that's great. I do it for me and have never looked for a following. All that long-winded comment, just to say - you do what pleases you!

stitchenmylifeaway said...

Hi Pam,
I love to read about all kinds of things people are doing and baking is an addition of mine. Soo thanks for the recipe. To get an email of the comments on by blog I just post a comment to my post and click the "Email follow-up comment" that way I can usually at least find the comments email addy.
I still follow a few CQ blogs but find I'm happiest with Xstitch as stitching blogs go. Your blog was interesting before and I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy it as it becomes more diverse.

Gina E. said...

I wouldn't worry too much about 'losing' some of your readers, Pam. They are the ones who are missing out on all your interesting stuff. The blogs that I lose interest in are the ones that are full of babies and kids; I've got no interest at all in other people's kids. I like your stitching, baking, and assorted ramblings - keep on keepin' on!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

I enjoy your blog even more than ever...
To email comments:
Dashboard
Settings
Comments
At the bottom of this window
Comment Notification Email
Put the address where you want the comments sent.

coral-seas said...

I was going to let you know how to get comment notification by email but I see Charlene has that covered :-)

Blog what you want to blog, does it matter how many people read it? I also like the new blog as you feel format. I just pleased that you are back blogging and sounding more like 'yourself'.

I subscribe to your blog with Google reader, I don't now if that shows up in counters or not. I don't use counters on my blog, I think it would scare me if I had more than a dozen or so readers :-O

Related Posts with Thumbnails