Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Monday, July 02, 2007

More On Maxine's Quilt

I added 3 more motifs to this quilt over the weekend. First, an antique crazy quilt is not complete without a spider and web! That's my opinion anyway! So I added one:

Antique Crazy Quilt Embellishment 3

I love stitching the webs! That's why they show up on many of my CQ's. I just plain like doing them. As for the spider, I keep a big of misc. chunky beads in my bead cabinet. These are perfect for spiders. Because this quilt is so large, I used the biggest glass bead I had for the body and then a smaller glass bead for the head.

Next, I added a fan:

Antique Crazy Quilt Embellishment

The fan idea came from looking at the pictures in my Penny McMorris book. Maxine had given me an 8 inch doily from her collection to use on this quilt. It was almost too large to use as it was so I cut it into 1/4's and used one to create this fan. I also had to "age" it which I did before I cut it. The trim that I used is also from Maxine's collection of vintage things and the tassel was from my collection. The flowers are a vintage corsage that Maxine gave me to use on this.

I'll be using the other 3 sections of the doily to create fans too. All will be different.

Last but not least, my mom crocheted a few more pansies for me so I sewed one on, did a chain stitch for the stem and used some large green beads that I had for the leaves:

Antique Crazy Quilt Embellishment 2

All in all, I've been enjoying the process of further embellishing this quilt with the exception of not being able to use a hoop on it. I really dislike stitching "in hand". The easiest way I've found to work on this is to roll the excess up and lay it to the side of me on the sofa.

At the moment, I'm working on balancing it out with some more "points of interest". Once I feel that's done, I'll fill in with some small embroidered motifs here and there. It's a slow process really. It takes much longer to embellish a large motif on this quilt as opposed to the small motifs that I do on my cellphone pouches and purses. But it's a nice change of pace for me and certainly, an interesting challenge!

6 comments:

loulee said...

I love what you are doing Pam.
Will you spread it out soon,and take a picture of the whole thin? To let us see what a difference you have made.

Jo in NZ said...

I love what you have done with the fan. Gorgeous. I'm also with Loulee1, I would love a whole quilt pic.
Pretty please....

Magpie Sue said...

Love that spider web! I need to practice making mine a little more realistic!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I love your latest embellishments. The spider web and spider are gorgeous-- I love the amber-colored beads you used.

I've always thought that fans were very old fashioned so I really like that you've added one to the quilt.

Looking forward to seeing future embellishments.

Kim

patternnuts said...

How do you go about making the spider webs? Do you couch the stitches or do something else to secure them in place? (It looks like the stitches are rather long, that's why I am asking.)
I drew spider webs as a kid all the time. So I am guessing I would like to include it on my pansy kit.If I can do it!

Amy a.k.a. dragonryder4 said...

I just love seeing the progress on this quilt , you do some amazing work !!
http://rattiemom.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails