Crazy Quilting, Cross Stitch and Embroidery Blog

Home Of CRAZY QUILT QUARTERLY MAGAZINE!


Add This To

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Handpainted Vintage Lace and More!

Well, I have all my lace ready to go! And although Etsy is up and running again, there's so much traffic there at the moment, that I can't get a listing to go through to save my life! It's very annoying actually. Esp. since it's my understanding that part of the reason for the new version was to be able to handle more traffic! I'll get my things listed as soon as I can. Ever since the time-change, I've been waking up at 3 am. Maybe that would be a good time to list my items!

In the meantime, here's a sneak preview:

Crocheted Flowers 1

Tatting 1

My lace is all hand-washed and then hand-painted one piece at a time with a brush and permanent fabric dyes. I like my lace to be dyed unevenly, that's why I use a brush. Once dry, I heatset it and lightly starch it and then hang it up on hangers over night just to be sure that it's 100% dry.

My prices will have to depend on what I pay for it and the availability will depend on when I can find it and when I have time to paint it. I do plan to offer hand-painted vintage lace on a regular basis. Some of it will be handworked and some will be manufactured but to the best of my knowledge, it will be vintage.

Also, please remember that this is all old lace. It probably spent years sitting around someone's dusty old attic or musty old basement before getting into the hands of antique dealers where again, it probably was pushed around for awhile. How sad that there's little or no appreciation for these beautiful trims! Some of what I find will not be in mint condition but it is perfect for crazyquilting! When it isn't perfect, I will mention that in my listing.

As soon as I get these items listed, I have lots of other things as well including quilting fabrics, beads, needlework books and few things that I've made. I'll post here when I add things.

Until then, I have other things that I thought you would like to see. I did the finishing on my mom's Christmas gift:

Moms Block Completed

I think my photography is starting to get a little better! Didn't this come out nice?!! I used some dark brown crushed velvet to border the stitched piece and I also used it on the back. The twisted cording is a gold color. I wanted brown or rust but WalMart is my only quick fabric supply option so I had to get what they had. I'm very pleased with it and although it's not my intention, I know this will make my mother cry.

I used some lightweight iron-on interfacing on the back of the velvet. Velvet, crushed velvet, velveteen any of those plush fabrics can be a big ole' bear to sew! I've found that a bit of interfacing and a walking foot helps alot. One of these days, I'll write about what sewing machine foot works with what fabrics and for what purposes. Honestly, I change the feet on my sewing machine more often than I change purses! And y'all know by now that I use a different purse every day!

Onto my "Girl With A Kitten" purse, I started working on this yesterday and again, am running into not having enough options as far as vintage colors and do-dads goes! But I did it before with my mom's cushion so I know I can do it again. Why do I go for the bright pastel colors? Hmmm...I'll have to contemplate that for awhile and see if I can figure that out. Anyway, I plan to hand-paint the sunflower motif but I wanted to get some of the stitching in first to get a feel for the color scheme that developes. The other piece of lace in the top right corner will probably remain natural.

Girl With Kitten Purse

I'll work on this some more later when I finish up on my computer here for the day.

On a final note, I want to share this with you:

Julias Purse

Yes, you've seen this before! I bought this beautiful SRE velvet purse from Julia at Camille's Place! I was drooling all over my keyboard when she posted the photo on her blog and then she added it to her Etsy shop so I bought it! Julia's photo was much better than mine. I didn't take the time to make sure the fringe was nice and even in the photo and my photo is a bit over exposed but I just so much wanted to share this here. Julia does such beautiful SRE work!!! And her finishing is exquisite! In fact, DH said that Julia's SRE is better than mine! Ha! I already knew that!!! Thank you Julia, this is so beautiful!! I just love it and I can't wait to use it!

6 comments:

Ribbonwiz said...

Hi Pam,
So glad the purse arrived safely.
and i'm so happy that you love it!
Enjoy, and thank you very much for all the lovely comments.
Hugs

Charlene said...

Your Mom's pillow is gorgeous! Hope she loves it.

Linda said...

The pillow is beautiful!! Your mom (any mom) will love it.
I have some of the same lace as you have on the top right of "girl with a kitten". It is from my greatgrandmothers stash. Small world.

toto said...

The pillow for your Mom is so beautiful. Thank you for posting all your lovely work and allowing us so much eye candy. Nancy T., ks

Kim said...

Pam,

I LOVE the pillow you made for your mom! She's going to love it!

Your "girl with a kitty" purse is coming along nicely.

Kim

Susan said...

I knew you were going to get that purse! LOL!

I love the laces and hope they are up - going to go check in a minute. The cushion for your mother turned out so beautifully! I know she will love that. The new purse is going to be very pretty, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails