Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Friday, July 08, 2005

The Pink Peacock Block


Brown Block2
Originally uploaded by Kitty And Me.
Well, I love my blue peacock block so much, I decided to do another peacock. Now, I never seen a pink peacock, but I've been known to use some creative license from time to time!

I didn't have any pink eyelash yarn, so instead, I made my own tail! I stripped several strands of DMC floss in the various pinks, then added several strands of metallic gold Kreinik Blending Filament. I did an 8 inch group of these, folded it in 1/2 and then tied a loop knot at the top. I cut the loop off, pushed it under the rhinestone piece (which I've finally found a place to use it!) and sewed it down from under the rhinestone piece.
Then I trimmed and shaped it.

I love this so far! But not sure about how much I like stitching on the crushed velvet. It's kind of fussy to stitch on. I used a small hoop to hold it in place while I stitched the peacock and luckily, the crushed velvet doesn't show a raised area from the hoop.

I don't know about most CQ'ers, but I usually stitch my CQ's "in hand" rather than using a hoop. For these blocks, my QSnaps would work I think, but they're so heavy! And I don't use a floorstand. I wish someone would make a lightweight square hoop! I would probably use that.

5 comments:

Janet said...

A wonderful choice of colors for the peacock! It looks pretty on the brown velvet, and such a creative tail feather. I wish the blending filament would show in pictures, it must really make it sparkle!

Pamela Kellogg said...

Hi Janet! Thanks for you compliments! Yes, the BF really is sparkly. I wish these scanned better. It's a little brighter than is shows in the scan. I'm getting ready to go and work on it some more. Just finished doing laundry and ironing! Love your kitty photo!

Linda said...

Just tell yourself it is an albino peacock (there is someone near me that actually has them) that got into the berries or something. :)

Wonderful!

And I always use a hoop when I can, usually a six inch. Which makes life difficult when I am in a RR and cannot get it on as there have been beads etc put on before me. I never attempt waste canvas wotk without one.

Pamela Kellogg said...

Linda, I like it! A white peacock that got into some red berries! How great! I've seen photos of white peacocks but none in person.

Yes, I too have tried stitching with a hoop on something that already has beads on it. Quite challenging! I would actually perfer to use a hoop on my blocks, but don't want to shmutz my fancy fabrics so I usually work without.

Gina E. said...

Peacock got into the berries...LOL Linda! Pam we have some white peacocks at an artists' colony nearby. I am always disappointed when I see them as they are usually rather grubby. I would like to put them in a bath with some Ajax and hose them down!
Seriously, your pink peacock is wonderful. Just think, you could do a series of peacocks, all in different colour schemes. If you could see some of the doilies and tablecloths I have which feature peacocks; the embroiderers were either colour blind or had a very vivid imagination for colours!

Related Posts with Thumbnails